Have you ever found a recipe that is just so good, so awesome that you make it over and over again?
Your family loves it, your friends beg for it (O.K. that may be a bit of an exaggeration), and you can’t stop eating any leftovers.
This week I’m sharing a few dishes from our Kentucky Derby Party because they are just so good that I had to share them.
Monday was Southern Pimento Cheese.
Tuesday was Jalapeño Cornbread.
Today is Awesome Jalapeño Cornbread Salad.
The first step is to make the Jalapeño Cornbread the day before you want to serve the Salad. The cornbread is the foundation of the Salad and it works best if it’s a little dry. In fact, it doesn’t hurt to let it sit out on the counter overnight.
Next you need to prepare all the vegetables to go in the Salad. BTW, there is no lettuce in this Salad.
For the Salad, you need thinly sliced red and yellow bell pepper, jalapeño and poblano peppers, and red onions.
You also need 1 1/2 pounds of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled. I always bake my bacon in the oven on a rack over a foil~lined sheet pan. No mess, no fuss, and the bacon stays nice and flat. Save the bacon grease to sauté the corn kernels for extra flavor.
Diced avocados, some chopped cilantro and sautéed corn kernels, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup jalapeño or pepper jack cheese complete the Salad.
While the bacon is cooking, you can make the Dressing. This dressing is really good and can be used for any salad. It makes about 3 cups, but is easily halved.
The garlic clove needs to be finely chopped.
Jalapeño Cornbread Salad Dressing
- 1 pint best brand mayonnaise (Hellman's, Duke's)
- 1 cup buttermilk (not fat~free)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1⅓ tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Set aside for one hour before using.
Awesome Jalapeño Cornbread Salad
This recipe makes alot ~ enough for a big crowd. We had 35 people at the party, everyone had some and we had leftovers. If you don’t want that much, use half of the cornbread and half the other ingredients.
- 1 recipe day~old jalapeño cornbread, crumbled
- 1 large red onion, julienned
- 1 large poblano pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 4 small or 2 large ripe avocados, diced
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2½ cups fresh corn kernels (or frozen, thawed and drained)
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) jalapeño or pepper jack cheese, grated
- 2 large mangos, diced
- 1½ pounds bacon, baked and crumbled
- Toss all the julienned vegetables with about half the dressing and set aside.
- Toss the avocado with the lime juice ¼ cup of cilantro, some salt and pepper and set aside.
- Sauté the corn kernels in a small amount of butter with one clove of garlic and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble: toss the remaining dressing with the crumbled cornbread right before serving the salad. Add the vegetables, chopped mango, avocados, cheeses, corn and bacon. Gently toss to combine and serve.
This salad is great for our upcoming summer holidays ~ Memorial Day, Fourth of July or Labor Day. I like it best at room temperature and it can sit out for awhile.
Hope you love it.
Friday I’ll share one of our desserts.